“Coral Reef Rhapsody” is 72 x 48″ and in three panels. As I have been painting this for several months on and off, a rather rhymic flow of the water and seaweeds appeared. When I am painting an underwater scene, it is a tedious process and even though I have a sketch that I drew first on paper, as I paint on the canvas, the little surprises occur along with the creative process. It appears to me that the coral and fish are swimming and flowing to music.
Sometimes when paintings have been in galleries or at shows, small nicks appear on edges of canvas so I took the opportunity to freshen up. I added a bit more eye shadow on the mermaid called “All Dressed Up” 24×24 gallery wrap and darkened edges and re varnished. On the marsh scene ” River Reflections” 20×20, I toned down the browns and added burnt sienna and some birds in the sky were added. Small tweaks are good! Both are available for sale.
“Bella Donna” is three panels of 24×48″ gallery wrap canvases that would hang an inch from each other and cover 75×48″ space. I wanted to portray an underwater siren with the lighting I have seen while diving. The reflection on the bottom of the sandy bottom reflect up onto the mermaid and sea creatures. I started with black canvases and painted the ocean water with teal and blue sheer metallic paints so its quite a dark painting…just like it would be under the sea.
Ana from California fell in love with one of my mermaid paintings but the original had been sold. She also wanted to have me add sea glass and shells to the canvas. I had a printer print the canvas and back it with a hardboard. This way I could glue the glass and shells on it without them coming off later. Then I prepared some thick epoxy resin to coat the entire surface which also acted as a bounding agent for the 3 dimensional objects. Its quite a process to work with epoxy. You have to raise the painting off a surface to catch the dripping epoxy and be able to scrape the edges. A heat gun is also necessary to remove bubbles after pouring the prepared epoxy. It took two more days to set up and harden but looks gorgeous! Very shiney!
Denise and Sean Hotchkiss purchased the large mermaid painting called “Entangled” but wanted to put it on a very tall 2 story wall in their den. So they commissioned me to add on to the scene with two side panels. I added a sting raw and the other parts of two large octopus, additional fish and kelp. Tomorrow the varnish goes on and then install next week.
So excited to be shipping two paintings to a lovely couple for their Cape May home. They will flank a large fireplace. The other painting was the one I posted 2 journal entries ago called Shana. They also are asking me to create a large painting for the bedroom. Its not early to sell large works of art but they found my work on http://www.fineartamerica.com and fell in love with my mermaids. I have completed over 40 mermaid paintings in the last 16 years and half of the originals have been sold and I continue to make fine art prints and giclees of the images which sell internationally. Growing up sailing seems to come back to me in inspirations of ocean artwork and sea-life fantasies. When I was a little girl, I used to draw mermaids and pirates and even dress up like them.
Sometimes, after several years, I reinvent a painting to alter areas that I just was not happy with. Just because you think you are done with a painting…doesn’t mean you are done. After putting clear gesso of the painting that had been varnished, you can repaint areas. Let the new painting dry for a week before re-varnishing. I am so much happier with this now.
Linda Altman from Neptune Beach came by and purchased an original painting “Jellies at the Ball” and also a large mermaid giclee to give to her sweetie. We are having some huge construction projects forced on us because the side of my office had some old rotten wood which needed to be replaced. This small repair turned out to be a month long huge repair when we discovered that 3 walls needed to have new studs, insulation and hardy board. My sweet husband Nelson has been doing a great job with this extensive repair all month and we were nearly done when he decided to also replace some roofing boards to do a proper overhang and last Friday, the huge rain came. Even though it was securely covered and all, the rain came through and now the entire ceiling and wall sheetrock needs to be completely redone. Plus the rain was so heavy that it flooded the carpet and will all have to be replaced. So today, I am trying to pack up my entire office, camera gear and furniture to make way for further construction. As the say, when it rains it pours…literally. I am so thankful that some friends have helped by purchasing art from me this week. I am trying hard not to be overwhelmed and depressed. All month I have escaped to my painting studio to avoid the nail guns and hammers in my office. Thank goodness I am blessed with a husband who can weld a hammer and work with power tools. He is going such a great job…we just had bad luck with the weather and now need to do many more weeks of heavy work.